Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Recipes for kids who don't eat!

My kids go through stages. Sometimes they eat everything of their plates, sometimes they don't touch a thing. When they're in the non eating phase, I have to get quite creative to make sure they're getting the fat and protein they need. Here are a few ideas...
1. Protein pancakes
I put in flax meal, oats or even cooked quinoa, bananas, coconut oil,  flax seeds, pastured eggs, (no hormones or antibiotics), crushed nuts, etc... You can be creative too. You can add in wheat germ, cinnamon, or whatever healthy things your kids like. Mix it all up really well until its smooth and liquidy and not clumpy.
I don't add any sweetener into the pancake mix besides bananas. I serve them with a little spreadable honey and some berries and my kids love them!

2. Home made granola bars (compliments of Rebecca Green. I just tweeked her recipe a bit.)
2 cups oats
half cup wheat germ
cinnamon
1 cup  flour (I only use spelt, or oat)
organic raisins
1 egg
1/2 cup honey (raw, organic or spreadable)
half cup coconut oil
chopped nuts
vanilla
Bake for 30-35 mins and allow to cool for 5 mins before you cut them.

3. The new "cool" thing in my house now is to make those yogurts that they have in the bagel store. My daughter thinks those are really cool.
I put a thin layer of coconut milk (in a can  without preservatives, left opened in fridge over night) ,chopped nuts, strawberries, oats, maybe some honey, depending on their sweet tooth that day,  and keep layering until the the cup of bowl is filled up to your liking. Sometimes I mix in some plain cocoa powder when they want it to be "chocolatey".  My kids know that cocoa powder is bitter, but if you mix it with honey, you might outsmart yours!
More to follow! Hope these are helpful!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mishi!
    Just what I was hoping for--now I just have to figure out where to buy the ingredients (I admit, I don't have most of them in my house.)

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete