Sunday, May 29, 2011

Correction on sugar substitutes and sweeteners

I have been thinking a lot about xylitol. And as I was thinking more about I realized its probably just as processed and awful for you as any other processed food on the market. I did a little research, and will continue to do so. Originally, xylitol was taken from the trunk of a birch tree. Now a days, with government subsidized corn fields, corn is in everything. So it was no surprise to me to learn that a lot of xylitol products we see on the shelves, are actually made from corn. Quite a difference from a birch tree growing peacefully in a quite, green forest.
This is the problem with the food industry. You never know what you are eating, where it comes from and if the labels you are reading are true. The key is  to know how to read between the lines and figure out where your food is coming from. (More on the food industry later. I get very lively and aggravated when it comes to food politics and the food industry. So I can go on and on with this topic for pages and pages. I'll spare you the details, but I'll definitely give you some helpful hints later on.)
So the point is, if mashed bananas just don't do it for you, find a natural, unprocessed, raw sweetener, with no other added ingredients and use in small amounts. Whether its brown rice syrup, maple syrup or honey, just make sure its pure and whole!
Hope this helps! Have a great Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. hey mish! what is your take on agave? I just found your blog, so you may have covered that topic! this is so informative! Thanx

    ReplyDelete