Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Blackstrap molassas anyone?

Hey there Dear Readers,
Have any of you ever tried blackstrap molasses, or even heard of it? I was chatting with my friend today and she asked me about it. I had completely forgotten that I had this treasure of a food sitting in my fridge. I hadn't used it in a while because the last time I tried to, my kid's didn't seem to like it all that much, and I sadly forgot about it.
Well, as soon as  I got home after talking with my friend I grabbed that little bottle out and mixed some into my mid morning peanut butter and apples snack.
Blackstrap molasses is made from sugar cane. The sugar cane is crushed and boiled three times until a very thick, dark syrup is formed. So why am I telling you all of this?  Because blackstrap molasses is a nutritional powerhouse! Since molasses comes from sugar cane, which grows very deep into the soil, it absorbs and contains a broad range many nutrients which are usually lacking in top soil.  It's a great source of iron, calcium and magnesium. The great thing about this mineral combination is that the body needs magnesium (and other vitamins and minerals) in order to properly absorb calcium! Blackstrap molasses also has vitamin B6 (and some other B vitamins), which is a "brain" vitamin: it helps calm the brain and maintain the nervous system. Then there is also selenium which is a trace mineral and an anti-oxidant, manganese, copper and potassium, all essential minerals. Blackstrap molasses has a very robust, bittersweet flavor. It has the lowest amount of sugar than other sweeteners and it's the most nutritious.
Because of it's high nutritional content, blackstrap molasses is considered to be a health food and has many health benefits that go along with it's use. To find out more, you can always email me or post your question on my facebook page: The Natural Path: Nourishing through food, art and soul.
Its best to buy unsulfured blackstrap molassas from organic sugar, if possible. I buy mine from wholesome sweeteners.
Try some drizzled on your muffin, in your oatmeal, mix some into your peanut butter or smoothie, or even stir it up in a good stir fry! I will be trying again tonight with my kids, and this time I will explain to them it's amazing health benefits and I am almost sure they will each try some, Gd willing.
I'll let you all know how it goes, iyh.
Have a happy, sweet day.

No comments:

Post a Comment