Thursday, May 14, 2015

Simple, quick school snack ideas

Hey Everyone!
I wanted to share some snack ideas with you. Some friends have been asking me what I send my kids to school with everyday. I don't buy any processed snacks from the store, so I have to get creative and change it up every so often, but here are a few that my kids really enjoy. It might seem time consuming to make these, but I make enough to last the whole week so I don't even have to think about what to give them once all my batches are made.

Fruit leathers:
There are many ways to make these, and I have found a simple way that really works. Take some bags of frozen fruits of your choice. Let them get a little mushy at room temp before blending. You can throw in a banana or coconut flakes, or anything you like. Blend and spread a very thin, almost transparent layer (if you want them super thin) over parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
Bake at 170 degrees for about 8 hours or as long as it takes for the mixture to be firm and not liquid anymore.
Just peel off the parchment paper and roll them into fruit rolls! You can also bake them at 250 for a few hours if you want to get a crunchy fruit snack. Just break into pieces and enjoy!

kale chips:
For this recipe I get some bags of pre washed organic kale. Spread them on a cookie sheet, toss with some coconut or grapeseed oil and sea salt. Bake at 350 for about ten minutes or until they reach your desired texture. Some of my kids like them crunchy and some like them soggy, so I leave them in until the top layer is really crunchy, while the bottom leaves stay soggy.
Kale chips get really soggy after a day so I try to make these fresh. It takes just a few minutes!

Macaroons:
I don't use specific measurements for this recipe. I just toss in a bunch of yummy ingredients like coconut flour, almond flour, coconut oil, cocoa powder, cinnamon, raw honey, peanut butter, coconut flakes, etc.
Mix all the ingredients, refrigerate for a few hours and roll into balls! Walla! You can also add eggs to the recipe and bake at 350 for about ten minutes.

Popcorn:
I buy Eden Organics non GMO pop corn kernels. Heat some coconut oil and sea salt, add in the kernels and there you have some yummy pop corn. (If any of your kids are suffering from tooth decay I would stay away from the popcorn.)

Date balls:
Throw some dates, almonds or almond flour and some coconut oil into the food processor and roll the mixture into little balls and freeze. You can even sprinkle them with cinnamon or coconut flakes once they are made into balls.

Fruit cups:
Just dice up some watermelon, pineapple, strawberries, apples, limes,  etc.
You can add a little lemon juice if your kids don't like when the apples turn brown.

I hope these recipes help. More to come.
To health!
Mishi

No comments:

Post a Comment